We're halfway through 2017 (where has the time gone!?), which is the perfect time to chat about goals.
Whether you're focusing on fitness, your career, health or all of the above, goals come in handy. Goals give you a sense of direction and help carve out the path you want to take. Without them, there's a lack of focus, which can prevent you from being successful. We're here to be your personal cheer squad (give us a G, give us an O, give us an A… you get the point!) and help you start goal setting like a boss. With these tips in your arsenal, you'll be slayin' goals in no time.
Here are our top five tips for successfully crushing your goals
BE SMARTYou may have been introduced to this acronym before. SMART stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-Bound.
- S: Being specific with your goals provides more intention. Ask yourself who, what, where, when, which and why to get down to the nitty-gritty.
- M: Having a measurable quality to your goals allows you to stay on track to reach your targeted timeframe.
- A: Having an attainable goal doesn't encourage going easy on yourself, but it allows you to be realistic.
- R: Relevance lets you align all of your goals and have them to help you grow to where you want to be.
- T: Having a timeframe means making a deadline for your goals. It provides a sense of urgency, which motivates you to get 'er done more quickly.
So, be SMART.
WRITE, SHARE & KEEP 'EM VISIBLE
Writing your goals down makes them more real and concrete. Always write them in the present tense – "I run" vs "I will run" – to instill urgency, believability and a better visualization. Sharing them with even one person can help keep you stay accountable and motivated. Keep your goals, whether written down or in the form of a vision board, somewhere that you'll see them every day. Try having them next to your desk at work or in your room at home. Take pride in what you're working on and embrace the constant reminder to keep pushin'!
FIND YOUR WHY
You wouldn't just choose any old goal, would you? Finding the "why" behind what made you choose to get after your goal serves up a boatload of motivation. Once you've tapped into that, you're basically unstoppable.
Creating smaller goals to move you towards smashing your end goal is key. You can celebrate the little milestones and it makes the big picture seem within reach. You also want to plan for bumps in the road. Know that everyone experiences setbacks and don't let it deter you. If you change your mind about your goals, that's totally cool! Just don't let yourself give up when it gets hard – that's usually when the magic happens.