CHALLENGE YOUR FIT
You’ve smashed leg day, pumped those tri’s and bi’s and hit a huge back session during your split this week. But how about the humble shoulders? Exactly, time to give them the love and attention they deserve with an epic, free workout from our very own Ryderwear Athlete Arran Aro. Get your sweat on at our Fitpoia stage as Arran takes us through some of the best shoulder exercises to fire your muscles.
Feel free to challenge yourself with resistance bands or use a lighter weight with a higher rep count to get the most out of your workout. Remember to avoid those annoying shoulder injuries by activating your upper body before you jump into your workout. Take it away Arran!
EXERCISE NO. 1 - MILITARY PRESS 3 x 6
In standing position, start with the bar in front of you in the squat rack at mid-chest height. Your feet should be shoulder-width apart; this is your starting position.
01. Grab the bar with your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width and your palms facing forward.
02. Stand close to the bar and bend your knees to a quarter squat and take the bar off the squat rack.
03. With the bar level to your chin, take a deep breath and drive the bar upward above your head by extending both arms up. Make sure your elbows are pointing forwards throughout the movement.
04. Lower the bar with control back down to the start position to complete your shoulder press.
05. Repeat for time or reps.
Squeeze your glutes and activate your core to ensure you aren't arching your back throughout the movement.
Try to keep the bar as close to being in line with your body as possible. You may need to tilt your head back slightly to perform the overhead press correctly.
EXERCISE NO. 2 - DUMBBELL LATERAL RAISE (STANDING) 3 X 12
Stand tall with a dumbbell held in each hand. Make sure your arms are straight and down by your side with your feet hip-distance apart; this is your starting position.
01. With your palms facing your midline, lift your arms up to the side and away from your body, so they are at shoulder level.
02. Return down to the start position in a slow and controlled manner.
Use a mirror so you can see your movement and positioning.
Aim to keep your elbow angle consistent throughout the movement.
Squeeze and activate your glutes to avoid arching your lower back and swinging your body.
EXERCISE NO. 3 - BENT OVER REVERSE FLY 3 X 12
Engage your core and keep your back straight while you hinge at the hips. Relax your arms, so the dumbbells are down in front of you. Make sure your palms are facing each other; this is your starting position.
01. With a slight bend in your elbow joints, raise both arms out to your side on an exhale up as far as you can laterally.
02. Lower the dumbbells back down to the start position in a controlled manner to engage your muscles.
It's important to maintain your elbow angle and squeeze your shoulder blades together to engage your upper back muscles as much a possible.
Avoid hunching your shoulders and keep your chin tucked to maintain a safe and neutral spine.
EXERCISE NO. 4 - SEATED DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS 3 X 12
Set the bench up in a vertical seated position and sit down with your body straight. Holding a dumbbell in each hand, place the dumbbells above your shoulders just next to your head. Make sure your palms are facing forward with both feet planted. Make sure the bench fully supports your back; this is the starting position for your shoulder press.
01. Push the dumbbells overhead and extend both arms up.
02. Return to the start position in a controlled manner.
03. Repeat for reps or for time.
Your forearms should be perpendicular to the ground throughout the movement.
Don't come down too deep during the movement. Aim to keep the tension consistent to engage your upper body muscle groups and shoulder stability.
Come down until your upper arms are slightly below parallel with the ground; this is generally a good range.
Try to keep the dumbbell in line with your head throughout the movement; they shouldn't come forward or back.
EXERCISE NO. 5 - HEAVY BARBELL SHRUGS X 6
Use a squat rack to assist if you’re lifting a challenging weight and stand tall feet shoulder-width apart; this is your starting position.
01. Holding the barbell in front of you with an overhand grip and your thumbs wrapped around.
02. Draw your shoulders up towards your ears as high as you can before lowering back down in a slow controlled manner.
Make sure your arms are relaxed during the exercise, as the focus should be on your traps.
Avoid any arching through your lower back.
Make sure your head is in a neutral position and not poking forward.
EXERCISE NO. 6 - CABLE REAR DELT FLY X 10
Set the handles of the cable machine at the highest position and stand in the centre. Grab the pulley handles in a crossover position; right-hand grabs the left handle, and left-hand grabs the right handle; this is your starting position.
01. Place one foot forward for better balance. Keep your core tight and an arch on your lower back throughout the exercise. Push your chest out.
02. Pull the handles away and slightly back until they are in line with your shoulders.
03. Pull your scapulae blades together, which should allow you to feel a nice contraction on your rear shoulders.
04. Resist the weight back to the starting position.
05. Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Always keep a slight bend in your elbows to avoid your biceps from initiating the pull on the handles.
At the top position, where the handles pull back and in line with your shoulders, make sure your arms are straight to achieve full tension on the posterior muscles.
We hope you enjoyed this epic shoulder workout and loved your new Ryderwear gear as much as we do. Here at Ryderwear, we’re all about you, our community.
That’s why we turned our annual Black Friday sale into so much more than just a sale; it’s a celebration of you. We want to help you be the best version of yourself, and what better way to start than with this epic workout.
Want to join in on all the other fun going down at Ryderworld? Check out our events, workouts, masterclasses, giveaways and heaps more with our festival map here.
SHOP OUR RYDERWORLD BLACK FRIDAY SALE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
womens gym wear & leggings available also
Ryderwear HQ is your lifters library of the latest training, nutrition & mindfulness insights (as well as inside looks at our latest collections).
Read More: Ryderwear HQ | Ryderwear